Monday, August 2, 2010

Cat In A Strange Hat

I will admit, I am not a big fan of cats. Primarily stray cats. If your cat runs around the neighborhood it is stray. I don’t care if you feed it daily. If it’s litter box is the garden of your neighbors then I have to wonder how you treat your children.

If a dog runs through your yard, you dial animal control. I have never had a stray dog on the roof of my car. Never had a dog use the post on the porch as his private scratching post.

The problem with any pet roaming the neighborhood is that trouble happens. And sometimes the pet pays the price. And so goes the story of this morning.

I was leaving for work, locked the door and walked to my truck. Not really looking for anything I was getting the keys ready unlock the driver door. As I opened the door I noticed something in the street, but continued loading stuff into the truck before doing a double take. Just below the curb was a ball of fur and a soup can, not moving, the fur looked like cat. I realized I was right, it was the body of a cat and the head of Chef Boyardee. I had to laugh.

It did not move as I approached. I was sure it was alive. I bent down, thinking I would simply slip the can off his head, he would say thanks. No way, that can fit his head like my wedding ring in the middle of summer after eating a pile of salty popcorn. He was stuck, no slipping here. This was going to take two hands. I took hold of the can again and he flinched as I touched him. A quick petting calmed him down. I pulled the can to the right and kitty to the left. I was amazed at how cooperative he was. But this can was on there tight. I worked at pulling his fur and skin out bit by bit. Finally the can had wiggle room. This time, still with a little pressure the can was removed. Kitty took off like a rocket, no thank you.
Cat CannedI have no idea how long he had been like that. Was he starving to death, was he suffocating? Suppose he made it into the woods or fell in a storm drain? Suppose it was your cat? You abused your cat.

Well anyway I know the cat is thankful and maybe he‘ll find someone who really cares for him.

No comments: